Mr. Wyatt from Kennesaw, GA called us about a noise in his garbage disposal. We installed this new garbage disposal about a year ago and he said it started to make some noise.
If you turn your garbage disposal on and it is rattling or making a less than uniform sound (it’s not just going to be a hum, it’s going to be a GRR GRRUUU GERRGURRRRR, sounds like a dinosaur eating your cabinet), that’s not how it’s suppose to run.
I instructed him to put a handful of ice cubes in the garbage disposal and engaging the switch to let it run for a few minutes, and that cured the sound. The blades inside of the disposal sometimes get a little gook underneath and that throws the motor off balance. The helps clean the gook and frees up the blades.
Is your garbage disposal making a noise from being off balance?
If that ever happens to you:
- Look inside visually to make sure it’s not a spoon, piece of food, children’s toy, or foreign object in the garbage disposal.
- If not, take a handful of ice and toss some cubes into the garbage disposal and turn the power on with running cold water running.
- It’s going to act almost like a blender. It’s going to chomp it all, make a lot of noise chomp it up. In doing so, that ice is agitating the blades and cleaning them.
- When done, test with just cold water. It should have a more uniform sound, like a hum BRRRRRRRRRRRRR. They’ll never be silent but it shouldn’t sound like it’s eating your cabinet.
Learn more about your garbage disposal
Have questions about your garbage disposal, here are a few helpful blog posts:
- Why Do Garbage Disposals Stop Working?
- How Garbage Disposals work
- Common Mistakes Home Owners Make with their garbage disposal
- Items You Can Throw in the Garbage Disposal
- Items You Should NOT Throw into the Garbage Disposal
- Steps to Unclog a Garbage Disposal
Do You Need a Plumber to Fix Your Broken Garbage Disposal?
If your garbage disposal isn’t working correctly and you’ve tried the steps to unclog it, there may be something more serious going on, such as an electrical issue or the motor may have even gone out. If that’s the case, and you need to replace the garbage disposal — we’re here to help.
Whether your garbage disposal stopped working, just needs a good cleaning, or it’s time for a replacement, we’ll always give you an estimate right up front, so you’ll know the cost and there’s no hidden fees.
Call us today at (770) 480-7687 today to schedule an appointment. Trinity Plumbing – Your Plumber for Life