A pressure reducing valve (PRV) is an important part of your plumbing system, as it helps regulate the water pressure in your home. If a PRV fails and the pressure in your pipes gets too high, it can cause all kinds of problems, from plumbing fixtures failing to appliances leaking and more. Let’s discuss the importance of pressure reducing valves and how they can prevent plumbing problems.
What is a Pressure Reducing Valve?
A pressure reducing valve is a plumbing device that is designed to reduce the high pressure of water entering your home from the main water supply. Most municipal water supplies deliver water at a pressure of 60-80 PSI (pounds per square inch), which is higher than what most plumbing fixtures and appliances are designed to handle. A PRV reduces the water pressure to a safe and manageable level, usually around 50 PSI, which helps prevent damage to your plumbing system.
What Happens When a PRV Fails?
If a PRV fails and the water pressure in your home gets too high, it can cause a range of problems. These problems can include:
- Leaking appliances: High water pressure can cause appliances like washing machines and dishwashers to leak or fail prematurely.
- Burst pipes: Excessive water pressure can cause pipes to burst, which can lead to water damage and costly repairs.
- Running toilets: High water pressure can cause toilets to run continuously, wasting water and driving up your water bill.
- Faucet leaks: High water pressure can cause faucet and showerhead leaks, which can also lead to water waste and increased bills.
- Noisy pipes: When water pressure is too high, it can cause pipes to vibrate and make noise, which can be annoying and disruptive.
How to Prevent PRV Failure
The best way to prevent PRV failure is to have it regularly inspected and maintained by a licensed plumber. A plumber can test your water pressure, check for leaks, and make sure your PRV is working properly. If your PRV is old or damaged, it may need to be replaced. A plumber can help you choose the right PRV for your home and install it correctly.
In addition, it’s important to be mindful of your water use and to avoid putting unnecessary strain on your plumbing system. For example, try not to run multiple appliances at once or take long showers that can put additional pressure on your pipes.
What’s your water pressure?
A pressure reducing valve is an essential part of your plumbing system, as it helps prevent water pressure from getting too high and causing damage to your plumbing fixtures and appliances. Is the water pressure in your home too high? If you suspect your PRV is not working properly or need a new one installed, be sure to contact Trinity Plumbing to help ensure your system is working correctly. By taking care of your plumbing system and being mindful of your water usage, you can help prevent plumbing problems and ensure a steady flow of water in your home.